Sunday, November 22, 2009



To be honest, I had absolutely no idea of seeing the 2nd film of the Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series. I then heard that it made about 141 million in the USA during its opening weekend. After I saw the film, I was shocked that I liked it. Even more shocking, to me, is the fact that I am recommending that you see it when it opens here in South Korea on 3 December, 2009.

You must know that I have not read any of the books at the time of this review. The rest of this review will be huge spoiler alerts.

Now for the first 45 minutes of the film, I wanted to take a pencil and jab it into my eye, so I wouldn't have to watch any of the teen anguish that I was watching...

New Moon continues the teen love story between Edward and Bella. Bella spirals down into a major depression when the 106 year old vampire she loves, leaves her. She finds herself picking up the pieces of her broken heart with her best friend, who just happens to be a werewolf.

It is during this dark time of her life, she accidentally discovers that, by being reckless and putting herself in extremely dangerous situations, she is able to see Edward in her mind and hear his calming voice. Desperate to be with him no matter the cost, she purposefully continues to put her life at risk.

With Jacob’s help, Bella rebuilds an old motorbike to further her dangerous escapades. She soon comes to discover that Jacob might be exactly what she needs to heal from the hurt of her broken relationship. She begins to feel alive and happy again, even though the memory of Edward is still painful. Her friendship with Jacob, a member of the Quileute tribe, leads her to a new discovery concerning the secrets as Jacob must deal with a new-found ability to transform into a werewolf. In the midst of this, Bella’s life in is danger with the arrival of Victoria, the vampire mate of James, who was killed by Edward and his family in the first movie.

The film then takes us to Rome to deal with Bella saving Edward from deliberately provoking the Volturi (a secret vampire society that regulates the laws over others of their kind) into killing Edward. The audience was really into this part of the film. I just have a bad feeling that the Volturi are going to play a major role in later films.

When the film was over, the audience was clapping and cheering and I couldn't believe that I actually liked the film. In prior film, I have openly hated love triangles, but in this case its 2 men going for 1 girl and when the treaty between the vampires and werewolves is about to be destroyed, it did make for an interesting story.

Readers, just give the film a chance, and yes, the film has moments of very bad acting. In the end it is worth at least one viewing.

Grade B+

Bella Swan: You've killed people Jake.
Jacob Black: We only kill what we are trying to protect you from, vampires

No comments: