Monday, September 13, 2010

The Fall 2010 Film Preview

by Mike McStay

Here are my recommendations of films that you need to see this fall and the films that you need to pass on.

The films that you need to see this fall

The Town- When I saw the preview, it looked great and the idea of a bank robber being this crass just sounded like a film that I would want to see if it ever comes here to Korea.

Let Me In- Now I was a huge fan of the original “Låt den rätte komma in” from Sweden. I really could not believe that they were going to remake it. I have heard mixed reviews about this film but I just have a feeling that this could be a good film.

Life as we know it- I have usually hated any film that Katherine Heigl has starred in but this one just looked different and it has the possibility of being a great film, if given the chance.

Red- When I saw who was going to be in this film Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich and Helen Mirren, I knew that this was going to be a film that I really wanted to see and make them all ex-CIA and I really want to see this.

Hereafter- Real simple, Clint Eastwood Directed this film. I hope it’s another good film from him.

Monsters- What do you do when aliens invade the world and they soon establish a colony in Mexico. Then you have to go there and get someone out alive. It sounded interesting to me and I want to see it.

Due Date- it sure looked like an updated version of Planes, Trains and Automobiles. It made me realize how much I have missed John Candy’s acting. The parts I saw made me laugh, so I will give it a chance.

Unstoppable- When I saw that Denzel Washington and Chris Pine were in a film directed by Tony Scott and with a train that could collide into dangerous chemicals, it just sounded very interesting.

Skyline- When Aliens appear and a huge blue light is making people disappear, it reminded me of a classic Twilight Zone episode. It looks like a different idea for a film.

Harry Potter 7 Part1- Unless the film makers really make huge mistakes with this film, this should be a huge blockbuster and in 3D IMAX. They should make a lot of money worldwide on this one.

The Next 3 Days- I saw Russell Crowe and Liam Neeson on the screen together, I knew that this would be a film that I wanted to see.

The Fighter- This film takes a look at the start of pro boxer “Irish” Mickey Ward career so they will not be showing his classic trilogy with Arturo Gatti.

Tron :Legacy- I was never that huge of a fan of the first film but I am willing to give this film a chance based on the good preview that the film has received so far.

Yogi Bear- Ok, I loved Yogi as a cartoon and I will go see it as a movie. I sure hope I don’t regret this selection as a film to see this fall.

Now for the films that you need to run away from and miss when they come to the movie theater.

Machete- Now I do really love a good Grindhouse type film. Sad to say this one was so way over the top and with the Anti-Arizona Immigration message, the film never worked for me and that is a shame.

Wall Street 2- So it’s 20+ years later and now Greed is evil or is it good or why should I care. The preview looked horrible and how long has it been since I have actually paid to see a film Directed by Oliver Stone.

The Social Network- The Buzz is bad on this film and the closer it get to its release date the worse the film sounds to me.

Stone- The preview looked like a very cheap late night film that you see on the USA Network and it just looks and feel more like a TV film that a real one.

I spit on your grave: unrated- I have no idea why they are remaking this film. The original one was badly acted and this one doesn’t look any better.

Paranormal Activity 2- I thought the first one was pathetic and with the 2 different ending, it just made a bad film into a joke for me but the film made a lot of $$ so here comes part 2.

Saw 7 3-D- Didn’t Jigsaw die a few films ago and no he is back and in 3-D? Why?

Megamind-This carton just looks bad and I didn’t laugh once during the preview. I can vaguely remember that Will Farrell films were supposed to be funny.

127 hours- So we see a man with his arm stuck under a rock for how many hours? This is a good film because why?

The Tourist- I have no idea why they made this film after so many cast and other changes to the original story. It just has a very bad feel to this film.

Little Fockers- Why are they making this film and now we see a preview that Ben Stiller is trying to be “The Godfather” it makes no sense and it wasn’t funny at all.

True Grit- You’re trying to remake a “John Wayne” film. Didn’t you learn your lesson with the failure of The Ladykillers” remake.

Gulliver’s Travelers- Now Jack Black is trying to be a giant in this film. I really cannot believe that they cast him in this role. Please go back to a panda role instead of this one.

No comments: