Monday, November 07, 2011

Movie Reviews: Puss in Boots, Tower Heist & Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas.

Well I really didn't know what to think about this single film of the "Shrek" series about Puss in Boots. The previews kinda left me with a flat taste in my mouth and after watching this film, the flat taste did not leave me.

To me, they tried to set this film up as a stand alone prequel to the Shrek series and that's where the film lost me. Whatever magic Shrek, Donkey and Puss had in the original films never came across in this film. We are shown Puss's childhood but with all of the new characters, it just never really felt right. We are shown his story but never given a real reason why we should care about him.

The film is great for kids with seeing the film for one time only, after that, I really can not see any reason a child would want to see it again for a 2nd time and as for this parent, I really never want to see this film, purchase or rent it ever again. It just left a very bad taste in my mouth. Please pass on this film at all cost and see it in 2d if you're dragged to it by your children.

Puss in Boots Grade: D-

Tower Heist

Now on this one, the previews had made me laugh and I was wondering will this be a bad version of the "Ocean 11" series or would it come across as its own stand alone film. After watching this film, I really wouldn't mind seeing a part 2 to this story.

This film shouldn't work with the partnership of Eddie Murphy and Ben Stiller but these 2 actually convinced me and the audience that I saw the film with that they could actually pull off this revenge film.

the plot is simple here, Ben Stiller plays an apartment manager who has invested his employees 401k money with A respected man firm but soon finds out that all of the $ has disappeared via a Ponzi scam. He soon recruits a cast to see if they can get the $ back to the wronged employees.

The film then turns into a very smart cat and mouse film in which you think you know whats going on but the twist were well played and very believable. The audience I saw the film with was really into it and when the film was over, the majority left with smiles on there faces.

This film could have failed and some people will think its a bad copy of the heist films of the past but I liked it because the film never insulted my intelligence and made me cheer for the bad guys.

Please see the film when you get the chance.

Tower Heist Grade: B+

Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas

Now I have no idea if this film will ever be shown in South Korea due to the use of marijuana and other various drug usage all over this film, but if they do then this is a film that you should watch without the kids.

One of the things that I liked about this film was the use of classic Christmas songs into this drug world fantasy and as for me and the audience, this really produced some heavy laughter. Now mix in the 3D twist and you really begin to see some strange and very different looks at life in to 2010's.

Now hopefully, you will have some thick skin when you see this film because it takes pot shorts at a lot of different people and believes. When you see some of it, the audience instead of complaining was laughing at it even louder.

As a critic, there are certain films that I like and this series has been one. I really can not explain why but these 2 main actors have great chemistry together and when the drugs get mixed in, it just works for me.

If you're a fan of this series then you will love this film. If you haven't seen the first 2 films yet, then some of these jokes in the film you will miss out on. I should have really hated this film due to the blatant use of illegal drugs but by the end of this film, I wanted to see it again and I definitely want to see a part 4 to this story.

Just please be ready to laugh and to be offended by this film and you should have a nice viewing of it and please see it in the 3D format. The jokes work so much better because of it. I am leaving this film spoiler free because you really have to see this film without it to enjoy the simple nods to the past films and the laughs that you're about to see in this film.

Please see it, if it ever play in Korea.

Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas Grade: A-

No comments: