Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Shut Up and Sing

Opens In Korea. Oct 3 2007.

How I saw it. DVD Screener.

Opening weekend in USA. $50,103 (USA) (29 October 2006) (4 Screens)

Plot. A documentary on the Dixie Chicks in the wake of singer Natalie Maines' anti-George W. Bush statement at a 2003 concert.


As a reviewer, I know that they're certain films that I will never review due to personal baggage that I will bring to it. For instance, I will never review a Michael Moore or a Jane Fonda. To be very honest, I had zero interest in ever reviewing this film. I made a promise to somebody, that if, this film was ever given a release date in Korea, that, I would, review it. As you can see above, it has a date.

Now allot of the readers of my reviews know a few things, I am from Texas, I vote Republican and that I am an US Army vet. I thought that this needed to be known, especially for this one. So If what I have said above upsets you, then stop reading this review now.

To be honest I never was that much of a fan of the "Dixie Chicks" before or after 2003. I always considered them too lighty but each of their CD's would have one song that I'd like. (If you have never listened to their music, may I please recommend, "Traveling Soldier" and their cover of Stevie Nicks song "Landslide". I have always thought that these were their 2 biggest hits)

What I do remember is me, being a soldier, during the 1990-91 Gulf War. I can recall stars and other so-called leaders always asking why would we want to be soldiers. It has and always will rub me the wrong way and I never liked nor have I ever liked some so-called leader or star saying that we are ashamed or we support our troops and in reality its all talk and no action. I saw allot of phonies during that time and it has always left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Now readers, I do support the war in Iraq and in Afghanistan. If I thought that evil men would solve all of the problems by just talking to them, then I would ban war all together. Sad to say, that idea has rarely worked. It was not words that opened the gates of Auschwitz, nor ended the reigns of Pol Pot, Hitler, Idi Amin and many other dictators through out history. It was by the sword or by the barrel of many guns. i think that world has forgotten that.

Now for the film, I was living in Texas at the time of the incident. When I first heard the comment, my exact thought was, "Oh great, another phony, Well I will never by a Cd by them anytime soon." Then I forgot about it. Then a few days later something was happening. Radio stations around Dallas, quit playing their songs, then I heard that stations all over the US quit playing their music. The documentary shows and tells about one super radio chain that ordered its stations to no longer play their song and it tries to make into into a bad light.

Here is where the film lost me. As a former soldier, I firmly believe in the freedom of the press and the right to be an idiot, if you want to. What I can not stand is when those same people whine because there is a loss of monetary reaction to what they said. The Dixie Chicks lost radio, sponsors, concert and many other things because of what was said. The film tries to make them out as heroes. My question was, what in the heck are they heroes for? I never saw them trying to save any lives or do anything that is worthy of being called a hero. All I saw was a once promising Country act, thought out the film, turn on its fan base. I thought it was sad.

In the end the film makes them out to be heroes and in the end if this is a hero, then please do not call me one for saving lives and protecting the innocent from the evil men of the world. the word is worthless if this group is called a hero.

Overall, if you like the statement, then you will probably like them film and I will highly recommend it for you, when it opens in Korea. If you did not like the statement, then pass on this film, as I will when it comes to Korea.

Grade. F

No comments: