Thursday, May 20, 2010

Movie Review: Robin Hood (2010) and Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

Well this was the week for remakes and as usual, I liked one of the films and absolutely hated the other one.

Lets deal with the one that I liked, "Robin Hood" first. I really thought that it was a better story than some of the past efforts of this legendary bandit. I liked the fact that Russell Crowe returned to the action film genre. I did see a huge problem with this film and it will cause a lot of people to really hate this film.

To me, the film has a huge problem of not being very believable. In most of the other versions of the film, Richard the III, is being held captive by the Austrians and thus the need for high taxes to pay off the ransom. In this version its the French who are portrayed as the real villains and I liked it, I could really see how this might cause the audience to turn on this film.

This film could have also been setting itself up with a sequel. The purposed film looks like it will be Robin Hood tries to start the Magna Carta and save England from Civil War. If this is the case, then is this really "Robin Hood"?

The film is worth one viewing. Bu, please be wary, wither you will like this or really hate this film. The majority of reviews leave no middle ground for this film.

Grade B

The next remake goes by the name of A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) and I so agree with Wes Craven, who was reportedly not approached about this remake. He has however publicly spoken against it. This idea should have remand that, just a bad idea never made into a film.

If you have no idea who Freddy Kruger is then please click here to get a good look at the legend of this man.

I have no idea why anyone would want to remake a cult classic as Freddy and not cast the man who originally played him, Robert Englund. It makes no sense at all and the majority of people who have seen the film seem to agree with me on this. As I mwas watching the film, every time the new Freddy, Jackie Earle Haley, would try and speak like Kruger, he sounded like he was still acting like Rorschach from "The Watchmen" movie.

I have no idea what the film makers were going for in this film, but it does not work and by the end of the film, I was wanting at least something interesting to happen but, alas, it never did and when the film was over, I will never watch another "Nightmare" film for the rest of my life.

Please pass on this one at all cost.

Grade F

No comments: