Friday, May 21, 2010

Movie Review: How to Train Your Dragon 3D

For those who do not know "How to Train Your Dragon" is the first in a series of eight books set in a fictional viking world about a young, 10 year old Viking named Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III and his pet dragon, Toothless.

All I really remember about the first time I saw A preview of this film was, that this cost 165 million to make? I thought for sure that this was going to be such a huge failure at the USA Box Office, that I didn't even bother to read any of the first few weeks reviews of this film.



Then I started to see that the film kept doing good at the Box office and that parents were taking their children to see this multiple times because of their kids enthusiastic word of mouth. So far it has created an outstanding sustained run that led to the film being reassessed as a major success and maybe, the start of a new media franchise for Dreamworks. So when it opened up in South Korea on 20 May, 2010, I knew that I wanted to see the film in 3D. (It is playing in 3D in a Korean dubbed version along with a Korean subtitled version here in the ROK.)

I really had no idea what the film was going to be about so when I saw that it was Vikings vs. Dragons, I though, "Ok sounds interesting so far." The I heard Gerald Butlers voice at the Stoick the Vast: the chieftain of the Viking tribe and Hiccup's father, the hero of this film. It started to gain my interest. Then when I heard Jay Baruchel as Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III voice, I knew that this was not going to be what I had expected to see in a film.

The idea is quite simple Hiccup wants to become a Viking but he's going to do it in his own way and his way sure isn't the Viking way. You see him befriend a dragon and soon many other dragons and then the film really takes off.

I really liked the film and it deserves at least one viewing in 3d, but don't be surprised if you want to see it more than once.

Grade A-

Astrid: [Referring to Toothless] I bet he's really frightened right now... what are you gonna do about it?
Hiccup: Ehhh... probably something stupid.
Astrid: Good, but you've already done that.
Hiccup: Then something crazy...!
Astrid: That's more like it!

No comments: