Thursday, November 24, 2011

Film Reviews: Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 1, Happy Feet 2 (3D), The Muppets

Well, the big film for the week was the new "Twilight" and I was all ready to write a review, in which, I hated the film. Only thing was that I actually liked the film.

For those who have followed this site, you have read of my utter disgust of the first 3 films in this series and I went into this film with no real high hopes in this film.
But, in this case, the film wasn't that actually surprised me and I think I know why.

In the first 3 films we have seen the choice between Team Edward and Team Jacob and in this film there wasn't that conflict. The choice was made and there wasn't any of the teen drama or any of the whining that the 3 films seemed to have in an abundance.

If you have read the books then you know this story and I could not believe it when the film was over that I had actually liked it. It had a good story, good plot and one heck of a cliffhanger. Now wait 2 minutes into the credits and you see the little extra scene that will blend very nicely into the next one.

Now there are some moments of this film in which, the male audience groaned out loud and we couldn't believe what was being shown at my theater was 75% female and 25% male. After the film was over the majority of the females that I heard talking about the film wanted to see it again, while the majority of the males that I heard speak wanted never to see this film again.

The female audience will love this film and want to see it more than one. The male audience will want to pass on this film at all cost. If you're a fan of the books then beware,they left a lot out of this and I have no idea if it will be included in a future special edition of this film.

Grade: B

Happy Feet 2

Now if you remember the my first review of the first film http://socius.or.kr/2006/11/25/movie-review-happy-feet/ you might remember that I really liked the first one and I so wanted to like this one, but after the film was over, the film was missing something...A heart.

In the first film we saw a great love story between Mumbles' parents Memphis and Norma Jean and after I watched this film, that when I realized why i didn't like this one as much, the mail love story wasn't there and no explanation was given why they weren't in this one.

Now if you are looking for comedy in this one then please watch all of the scenes with Will (Brad Pitt) and Bill (Matt Damon). They voice 2 krill's in the film that venture outside of their swarm. The majority of the audience laughed when these two were featured in the film.

I also liked the songs that were used in this film and so did the majority of the audience Is aw the film with. The children really liked the film in the 3D but it wasn't really worth the extra cost of the film.

I should have really liked this film, The story was about the climate change and how it is hurting the penguins. The film had some great songs and some great comedy but it was missing the heart and that is why the film failed for me.

The film was released with a Looney Tunes short called 'I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat.' The majority of the audience seemed to like this short than they did the film that followed it.

If you have little ones, they will love this film. For the rest, you might want to pass on this one.

Grade: C-

The Muppets (2011)

Now if you are a fan of "The Flight of the Conchords" a lot of the original songs in this film have that "vibe" and it is because Bret McKenzie was the film's music supervisor. I liked the original songs because they just were different and not like a normal films' music. The Chris Cooper Rap was the hit of the film.

As a child I was a huge fan of the tv's "The Muppet Show" and I was hoping to see some of the same magic in this film. The film is great in parts but all together it just wasn't that bad of a film but it wasn't that great of a film. It just left me flat and I was definitely in the minority at the showing I went to.

The little kids seemed to love the music and the majority of the parents seemed to like the film. I heard a few comment that they loved them back then and now, they could share this with there children.

The film plot was simple and in the end were are shown 2 love stories and maybe a part 2 is in the future. The children seemed to love the Ms. Piggy and Kermit plot line the best.

After the film was over, all of the little children had smiles on their faces and the parents were happy that the kids enjoyed it. The film was preceded by a short "Toy Story" cartoon and it was a great short cartoon.

Overall the film will be a huge hit with the children but may leave the adults a little flat

Grade: B-

No comments: