Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Halloween (2007)

Opens In South Korea. Unknown

How i saw it. Leaked Workprint DVD Screener.

Plot. After being committed for 17 years, Michael Myers, now a grown man and still very dangerous, escapes from the mental institution (where he was committed as a 10 year old) and he immediately returns to Haddonfield, where he wants to find his baby sister, Laurie. Anyone who crosses his path is in mortal danger.

This film is a remake of Halloween (1978)

HEAVY SPOILER ALERT REVIEW...........................................

This is the second workprint review that I have done. I was also able to get a copy of Hostel 2 a week early also. I must ask, "What is going on with Dimension Films?"

This is the 2nd leak of a big release film for them this year. I keep wondering who is trying to destroy the studio or is this just greed or revenge. Eli Roth, the director of Hostel 2, believed that the leaked released destroyed the film in the box office. Now with this release will the new Halloween be destroyed on opening weekend or not. All that I know is the rumors that I am reading at the time of this review. That the workprint is not what we well will see on opening day and that the ending is different than in the workprint.

I am reviewing the workprint.

I have always wondered why I loved the original film. To me it was always a case of revenge. A huge payback for what happened to the young Michael Myers. I always thought that this had been one of the first horror films that I had seen as a child that made me fall in love with the movies.

So when I heard of a remake of this film, my first thought was WTF! After seeing the film, I am glad that they gave the film to Rob Zombie to write and direct. I thought that the film was allot better that I had expected.

The opening few minutes of the film, we see Mike as a boy who likes to kill animals and we see that his home life is just horrible. You see that the boy only gets love from his mother and his so called step-father is a joke. You also see the start of his fascination with wearing a mask. You also see that he loves his baby sister, Laurie.

We see Mike kill his first victim, a school yard bully. You see him kill with the mask on, then when he takes of the mask, he's a kid. This was the start of Halloween night for Mike. As in the original film, he kills his older sisters lover and his sister, he also kills his evil step-father. When his mother returns from work, she see Mike with his baby sister, outside, in the cold, when Michael states, "It's all better now" The aftermath was well directed.

Then you see a young Michael Kill one more time in the hospital and after that his mother, realizes that she has helped to create pure evil, kills herself at her home, while watching home movies with her little boy.

What I also really liked about the film was the music, they even used "Don't Fear the Reaper" as in the original. another part I liked was the small role of Ismael Cruz,m played by Danny Trejo, you see him as a janitor/guard always treat Michael with respect and you see that Michael never hurts him. Its only when disrespect comes to Michael that he kills.

The rest of the film is your typical slasher film. A innocent girl, that, for some unknown reason to her, the killer wants her dead. Over sexed teenagers, that are killed while they are having sex, and the one person, Dr. Sam Loomis, who understands the killer.

It was an excellent choice to select Malcolm McDowell to replace the late, Donald Pleasence, as the role of Michael's surrogate father, Dr. Sam Loomis.

If you want to see a good horror film, then this one will do. Please remember, if you download the workprint, it may not be the same film you see in the movie cinema. Please see it when you can.

Grade B+

(Dr. Loomis.) These eyes will deceive you, they will destroy you. They will take from you, your innocents, your pride, and eventually your soul. These eyes do not see what you and I see. Behind these eyes one finds only blackness, they absence of light, these are of a psychopath.

No comments: