Monday, June 14, 2010

Film Reviews: A-Team and The Karate Kid (2010)






As Harry from aintitcool states, "Neither THE KARATE KID remake nor the theatrical debut of THE A-TEAM particularly suck - but they are devoid of any real impact for me."

Lets first deal with the "Karate Kid"

I really fell that Will and Jada Smith want to make their son "Jaden" a film star. So they decided to move to China for a few months and remake the 1984 The Karate Kid and in the processed really made a film that left me flat. Its not that great of a film but it isn't that bad of one either.

For me the film really doesn't work over 2 main points..

1. Jackie Chain as a teacher. The entire time that he was on the screen it just looked like he wanted to do anything else but be in this film. He just never made me believe that he was a teacher. The only thing I believed about him in the film was his fighting scenes.

2. The love story. I just never could believe the love story between Jaden and Wen Wen Han as Mei Ying. It looked very forced and never worked for me in the film. I believed the original story because they we both older. This looked like a very bad case of puppy love gone wrong.

I kept waiting for a film to appear and all I received was a very bad imitation of an 1980's film that I liked. If you haven't seen the original, you might actually like this film a lot. If you are a fan or the original film, then I feel that you'll be very disappointed by this film.

Grade C-

I was a huge fan of this show back in the 1980's, when I heard that they were making a remake of it, I went WTF! I saw no reason for a relaunch of this because the original "Hannibal Smith" George Peppard, Jr died back in 1994. I just couldn't see anyone but him even attempt to try it.

My hopes were temporary erased when it was announced that Liam Neeson was cast as "Hannibal". As great of an actor I think Liam is, he just never made me feel that he was the real deal.

To me the film only works when Sharlto Copley is in it. He plays Captain H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock and made me believe that he really was that "mad".

The films plot wasn't that great but then again neither was the TV show, so I wouldn't go into this film really expecting anything close to one in the film.

I feel that if you like action films then you might like this one but if you're a fan of the TV show then you might want to give this one a pass also.

There was no destroying of childhoods here. Instead, they're moderately entertaining retreads of some of my favorite 80's moments, and that's just sad all around. Has Hollywood truly that empty for any new movie ideas?

Grade: C-

No comments: