Sunday, December 14, 2008

Movie Review. Australia

When is an epic not an epic? When the film is "Australia"

For the last few years, I have been following the stories about this film (The Australian "Gone with the Wind", Russell Crowe pulls out of film, film was ordered a new ending re-shoot by 20th Century Fox, the film tested horribly, and many other rumors.) with all of the above information going on all around this film, my only thought was "Train Wreck" and after seeing the film, my guess was right, this film was horrible.

There are so many things wrong with this film it is hard just to point to one, so I will list a few of then about this film.

1. Originality: There was nothing new in this film. When I first saw the opening line of the film, I made a comment to myself, "I am seeing another version of "Rabbit Proof Fence?" I saw nothing new in this film and where he, the director Baz Luhrmann, copied other films into this film, I stopped counting because it started to take any idea of this being a film and it turning into a bad student film. Then the bombing scenes that were originally from 1970's "Tora! Tora! Tora! movie finally made me lose any idea of being an actual movie, when they were included in this film.

2. Chemistry: I never believed any of the love story or any of the background story that we were given to. It started to remind me of a very bad Korean Soap Opera with all of the flaws that these horrid shows create. I never believed what was I watching and the film suffered for it.

3. Racism. The blatant telling of the racism was almost too much to take. With a huge PC net cast over this film, It made the majority of white people evil and all Aborigines seemed to know magic, it was too much. With the fake lies of racism that were highlighted in the film The Express earlier this year, it made me wonder how much of the "Stolen Generation" was true in this film and how many lies were told while dealing with this historical travesty in this film.

4. Epic: The film was trying to be Australia version of Gone with the Wind. A historical love story born in racism and war and instead we get Pearl Harbor. Too me the film is too long and not worthy of the epic title that Baz, wanted. Instead we are given a sappy, cute 160+ minute film that fails on every level.

Now I saw this film with 4 people and it was a 3-1 vote for this film, with my vote being that I hated this film. They talked about the scenery and how the film was shot for the reasons that they liked it. If you like that type in a movie then you will love this film. If you are actually wanting a good film,then, in my opinion, you will hate this film, as much as I did.

Grade D-

Opened in Korea. 10 December 2008

Nullah: Miss boss! We gotta get those fat cheeky bulls into that big bloody metal ship!

No comments: