Monday, March 16, 2009



A few weeks ago, I came out with my best films of the year’s list and I had "Slumdog Millionaire" at #8. Here is what I said about the film.

............."At the time of this writing this film has received 10 Academy Awards nominations, including the nominations for Best Motion Picture of the Year and Best Achievement in Directing for Danny Boyle. I really had no idea about this film until I sat down and watched the film. It is basically a poor man going on India’s version of “Who wants to be a Millionaire” and with every question, you are shown how, this man, knew the exact answer. I saw the film once and then rewatched it a few days later, just to make sure that I had really seen all of what this film has to offer. A great love story and what a journey this man takes to his final answer to see if he can become a millionaire."

Well, we know what has happened to the film since I wrote this. The film went on to win 8 Academy Awards, to include:

1. Best Picture, Christian Colson
2. Best Director, Danny Boyle
3. Best Adapted Screenplay, Simon Beaufoy
4. Best Cinematography , Anthony Dod Mantle
5. Best Original Score, A. R. Rahman
6. Best Original Song - Jai Ho, A. R. Rahman
7. Best Film Editing, Chris Dickens
8. Best Sound Mixing, Resul Pookutty, Richard Pyke and Ian Tapp

The plot of this film is very simple, A Mumbai teen that grew up in the slums, becomes a contestant on the Indian version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" He is arrested under suspicion of cheating, and while being interrogated, events from his life history are shown which explain why he knows the answers. The film takes you from his childhood to the present day and you see how he knew each of the answers that he had been accused of cheating.

I really did not know what to make of this film before I watched it. All that I really knew about it was that it had received some good reviews and that it was making a lot of people mad about the way that it was showing Mumbai, India. I saw the film twice before I really told anyone about it. I wanted to make sure that I had really seen all of the different paths that this film will take you on.

To be honest, this is a very good film but I would not call it a great one. I certainly would not have nominated this film to the academy for a "Best Picture". I loved the film plots and subplots and thought that the script was great. It is a light fantasy film and a lot of people seem to be forgetting that. Do not let the negative reviews of this film deter you from watching this film. This film deserves a viewing when it arrives in Korea in March 2009.

Even with my small criticism of the film, my grade for this film is an "A". Once Again, "I see the crap, so you don't have to"

No comments: