Sunday, March 07, 2010


I knew that this could be a good film, I had no idea that it would be a great one that I would want to get on Blu-Ray as soon as possible.

Invictus is a 2009 biographical drama film based on Nelson Mandela's life during the 1995 Rugby World Cup in South Africa. Directed by Clint Eastwood, the film stars Morgan Freeman as South African President Mandela, and Matt Damon as François Pienaar, the South African Rugby team captain.

My favorite part of the film was the opening when Mandela attempts to tackle the country’s largest problems—including crime and unemployment—he attends a game of the Springboks, the country’s rugby union team. Blacks in the stadium were cheering against their home squad, as the Springboks (their history, players and even their colors) represent prejudice and apartheid in their minds. Knowing that South Africa is set to host the 1995 Rugby World Cup in one year’s time, Mandela convinces the South African rugby board to keep the Springbok team, name and colors the same.

He then meets with Springboks captain François Pienaar. Though Mandela never verbalizes his true meaning during their meeting, Pienaar understands the message below the surface: if the Springboks can gain the support of black South Africans and succeed in the upcoming World Cup, the country will be unified and inspired. Mandela also shares with Pienaar that a poem, Invictus, had been inspiring to him during his time in prison, helping him to “stand when all he wanted to do was lie down”.

In my live, I have seen nations unify over sports. I saw the USA cheer an Olympic Ice Hockey team to a gold Medal in 1980. I have also seen a divided Germany win the World Cup back in 1974, and people wishing that their country could be unified. I saw that same spirit in this film. Sports can not solve all of one countries problems but it can unify them, if only for a brief moment.

Grade: A+

Brenda Mazibuko: You're risking your political capital, you're risking your future as our leader.
Nelson Mandela: The day I am afraid to do that is the day I am no longer fit to lead.

The next film this week, I saw in 3-D and its title is Alice in Wonderland (2010).



The idea of this film is rather simple, What if a 19 year old Alice returns to Wonderland? As for me it was worth the price of seeing it in 3D at the Say CGV. It was not worth me traveling to Yongsan CGV, to see the film in Imax. So where doe the film go wrong?

As I kept watching this film, I kept waiting for Pink Floyd or Iron Butterfly's music to appear. The film is a great visual but I kept thinking that this film could be so much better if the audience was taking a very strong peyote sample. The visuals, instead of helping this film, really hurt the film. I saw a lot of pretty pictures but they all felt very empty and, to me. the film really suffered for it.

Now they're a few things to really love about this film. The voices of Stephen Fry as the Cheshire Cat, Michael Sheen as the White Rabbit and Christopher Lee as the voice of the Jabberwocky. Every time that their characters were on the film, the film seemed to come alive and fully encompassed the 3D goal of this film.

In the end the film is worth one viewing and that is all.

Grade: B-

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
[Alice checks Hatter's temperature]
Alice Kingsley: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are

No comments: