Friday, January 14, 2011



Film Review: True Grit (2010)

There are time when I watch film when I wonder if the people directing a film or A studio who backs a film have a clue what the hell they are doing? As I was watching this film, I kept thinking, why was this film remade and what was the reason for it?

Now this film will have a very simple thought whether or not you will like the film or not. If you are a fan of the original 1969 True Grit then I think that you'll really see that this is a far inferior product to the original. If you have no idea about the original then I really think that you will like this film and that this film could be on your best films of the years list.

Lately, Hollywood film studios have gotten into the idea that we must remake, make classic film more into our modern audience. If the results are what I have seen with this film, Can we please put that genie back in the bottle and never let it out again?

I kept looking at Jeff Bridges and kept wondering why was he trying to fill John Wayne's shoes and every time he tried to act like U.S. Marshal Reuben J. "Rooster" Cogburn he just failed to live up to a legend and to me this really hurt the film. Another miscast was Matt Damon as Texas Ranger LaBoeuf. I have no idea why they cast a man from Boston and try to make him sound like he was from Texas. I never believed it and once again this film sufferers for it.

The one saving actor of this film was Hailee Steinfeld who had the role of Mattie Ross. As in the original she has to act like she is a 30 year old man in the body of a 14 year old girl and she pulls it off. I really could not believe that this little girl; had pulled off the heart and soul of this film that was needed to even come close to making this film into something worth paying 8,000 Won for.

In the end if you haven't seen the original, then please see it when it arrives in Korea. if you are a fan or the original then please pass at this film at all cost.

Grade: D-

No comments: