Friday, June 01, 2012

Movie Review: Battleship, Chernobyl Diaries, The Dictator, What to Expect When You’re Expecting,MIB3

Battleship

Have you ever watched a film preview and thought to yourself that you should like this film but something just never seemed right about it and when you went to see the movie, you really didn’t like it but you really didn’t hate it? This gut feeling about this film is also why I gave this movie the #1 pick films not to see this summer. Then welcome to this film, “Battleship”

This film was based on a board game in which 2 players try and sink the others ships but this film sure didn’t look like that game and I had no idea why they named this movie after the game. The acting really wasn’t that great and the main star of the film, Liam Nielson, should have been in the film more than what he was.

The film should have worked and it should have been a blockbuster but it isn’t and I am never really sure why. It just didn’t click with me and left me with a mehn…

Later, near the end of the film, the reason why they named this film “Battleship” becomes clear and, I must admit, it was a nice moment for the military members in the audience. There is an extra scene at the end of the credits that can led to a possible part 2 of this film but based on the US rejection of this film at the box office, I don’t see a sequel happening for this series.

The film is worth at least one viewing but please, do not expect a lot.

Grade D+

Chernobyl Diaries

The preview of this film had me a bit confused, was it a “Lost Footage” film or a basic horror film or a modern slasher with a twist? After seeing this film it was obvious that all associated with this film had no idea what to do with this film either. I picked this film as one of the top 10 films not to see this summer and after I watched this film, I am very sure that I made the correct choice with this film.

The idea of an extreme tour to an abandoned nuclear site just never sounded like a good idea for a horror film and when the films twist appears, I was thinking like this was a really bad idea and this was a joke of a film and when it was over, I really couldn’t believe that I had wasted $$ on seeing this film.

Please pass on this film at all cost.

Grade: F

The Dictator

Now when a film begins with a notice that this film is being dedicated to Kim Jong-il, I knew that this could be a very interesting film. The previews looked funny and I put this film on the top 10 films to see this summer, I really wanted to see this film and after it was over, I really don’t want to see anymore films made by Sasha Barron Cohen.

I went into this film really wanting to like it but as the film went on, it just got worse and worse and by half way into this film, I kept looking at my watch to see when this film would be over. I thought this film was going to be a great comedy but instead of laughing at the film, I kept cringing on how bad this film actually was.

After the film was over, I overheard a few fans of Sasha from his Ali G days, really complain about this film and how they also wasted their money with this film.

The idea of an insane dictator sounded great but when it came to the execution of the films acting, it just never worked. What could have been a great idea for a great comedy, collapsed by the end of this film.

If you’re a fan of Sasha then you should see this film and see if he did a good job on this film. If you’re not, then you might want to pass on this film.

Grade: D-

What to Expect When You’re Expecting

Lately, when you made a huge cast of actor’s together to try and tell a common story either they really work or they are really bad and sad to say this film just never worked for this male viewer. The majority of the audience I went to see this film were 18-30 year old females and they seemed to really like this film while the few males in this audience really couldn’t believe that anyone would ever want to watch this film.

With an ensemble cast sometimes, there are stories that never should have been a part of the film. The Jennifer Lopez and Cameron Diaz parts in this film just never seemed to work for me because I never believed their roles in this film and it just seemed like the director wanted their stories to be the main ones when it’s clear that they should have not even been in this film.

The real stars of this film were “The Dude’s” led by Chris Rock, every time they were on this film; it seemed that the rest of the film was going to be great. Every scene that they were not in seemed to suffer for it.

If you like “Chick Flicks” then you should go and maybe you’ll like this one. If you’re not, then please pass on this film at all cost.

Grade C-

Men In Black 3

Now I have never really been a huge fan of this series and the only reason that I recommended the film this summer was because of the great audience reaction for the trailer. I wanted to see the film because, The Flight of the Conchord’s Jemaine Clement, was going to be the main villain of the film.

I really wasn’t expecting much in this film and this film doesn’t need to be seen in the 3-D Format because it really didn’t add that much to the film experience over the 2-D Format.

But saying that, I was really surprised by how much I actually liked this film. It told a great story of “K”’s background and you do discover what really made him go dark and when the twist comes it really made the audience look at “K” very different.

I must admit that I wouldn’t mind seeing a part 4 of this film to see how much of a change “K” had gone through and what other secrets of the universe this character has to share with the audience.

If you like a decent si-fi story or are a fan of this series then it will definitely not be a waste of your time or $$$.

Grade: B

No comments: