Tuesday, July 08, 2008

UPDATE ON THE MICHAEL WHITE STORY

I'm sorry I didn't write sooner... Mike's day was harder on me than I thought it would be....decompression I guess... I do appreciate all the good will sent that day... Mike's spirit was coming through clearly from all the love and positive energy sent to him that day. Thanks for being part of it.

A lot of folks came that Saturday, even though it rained something terrible all day. You could really feel the love. The day before, June 27th, the US embassy sent another, more detailed, request for more tests to be run...specifically to explore the chemical exposure theory.

Originally, the plan had been to have Mike cremated the Wednesday before his Life Celebration. But, because the embassy FINALLY got behind the request for more tests, and over the weekend there were in excess of 4 million won in donations, I opted to wait and see if the tests could/would be done.

I also heard back from Richard's psych. Doc friend (in Daejeon)... she spoke to some pathologists but got the same answer. No one is interested in doing anymore tests and referred me back to the original lab. Unfortunately, the original lab refuses to do anymore tests, according to the Gyeongsan Police.

On Sunday, June 29th, I was put in touch with Dr. Kim Chung Hee of Seoul National University International Clinic. She agreed to speak to the director of the forensics lab at Seoul National to see if they would be willing to run the tests.

So again, I chose to postpone the cremation.

the following Monday, June 30, I send her the materials (autopsy reports & Mike's medical file) she has to request the slides & photos from Busan herself.

I have not heard back from her yet; am wanting to give her time to get the slides/photos. With Dr. Linton, it took about a week before he received them... so she's probably only had them a day or two by now. If I haven't heard from her by Thursday (July 10) I'll call her to follow up.

last Thursday, July 3, Kate & I went to the morgue and paid up the fees. It was 3.060.000 for "rent" and 200.000 for a "sanitation fee" and sheets. I got the impression this was a one time fee.

Should we get the go ahead from Seoul National Lab, it will be about 500-600.000 to transport Mike there. no-one has mentioned the cost of the lab fees, but the lawyer thinks the cost of a full autopsy is about 500.000

Should we be able to take Mike to Seoul, the cost of cremation through the US embassy's contact, is about 1 million cheaper than the Daegu crematorium. So, in theory, the cost should even out between the two choices.

Having the tests run privately will certainly speed up the process. Yet, seeing how many refusals we've gotten so far... the odds are against us. The lawyer feels that we can force the police to run the additional tests, but again it's a matter of affording the time.

There is about 5 million won left in the account. Kate is taking a much needed break and cant be reached for an exact total. In anycase... we can afford a few more days to see how the SNU lab request pans out.

This is kinda a long email... so I'll put "future plans" in the next one for ease of reading.

steph


I WAS ONE OF THE PEOPLE WHO WENT TO MIKE'S CELEBRATION DAY. I FELT THAT I HAD TO BE THERE TO SHOW SUPPORT. I FELT WEIRD THE ENTIRE DAY. A YOUNG KID WAS DEAD AND WE WERE CELEBRATING HIS SHORT LIFE. IT WAS ALSO ON HIS BIRTHDAY AND THERE WAS A BIRTHDAY CAKE, WE SANG HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

I UNDERSTOOD THAT THIS IS WHAT THE MOTHER WANTED AND WE DID IT. IT FELT WEIRD HAVING A CAKE FOR A YOUNG MAN WHO COULDN'T BE WITH US. WHEN WE SANG HB, I SAW THE TEARS FALL AND I FELT ANGRY THAT SHE HAD TO BE CRYING. A BIRTHDAY IS A CELEBRATION OF LIVE, HE HAD DIED AND DIED UNDER VERY UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES. THERE WOULD BE NO MORE BIRTHDAYS TO CELEBRATE IN HIS LIFE. DAMNIT.

AS I AM GETING OLDER, I AM RECALLING A FEW FRIENDS IN THE PAST WHO ARE NO LONGER HERE ON EARTH. I AM GETTING OLDER, THERE FACES ARE NOT AND NOW I HAVE A 15 YEAR OLD FACE THAT WILL NEVER AGE AND DIED AND HE SHOULD NOT HAVE.

MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO HIS MOTHER. MAY THIS NIGHTMARE BE OVER SOON.


No comments: