Saturday, May 16, 2009

Holy Fucking Shit, Vanilla Ice writes to the Korea Times.

This is a new low. Robert V. Winkle of Dallas, TX, shares his thoughts on teaching.
After having trouble applying my undergrad medieval history degree to get a steady job in Dallas, Texas, I thought I could give it a try teaching English in South Korea.

I left Korea after only three months. I couldn't manage the job since I came in this tough economy ― with my weak qualification ― but I'm still glad I got out of that poisonous hagwon (cram school) atmosphere.

An especially embarrassing moment for the Times, if they even feel embarrassment at this point, and very fine work by the folks at Dokdo Is Ours. (HT to reader)

THE ACTUAL LETTER..

Dear editor,

Finally, one of your columnists really hit the nail on the head! It was with great pleasure of having my suspicions affirmed that I read Jon Huer's May 9 article, ``Is English Teaching Here `Gold Rush?'"

After having trouble applying my undergrad medieval history degree to get a steady job in Dallas, Texas, I thought I could give it a try teaching English in South Korea.

I left Korea after only three months. I couldn't manage the job since I came in this tough economy ― with my weak qualification ― but I'm still glad I got out of that poisonous hagwon (cram school) atmosphere.

Sure, when I read Huer's article I was entertained by the witty comparing of English teaching in Korea with the Wild West ... but the most shocking thing I saw was that some English teachers seem to enjoy it here ... I never saw anything like that. But Huer's analysis had a perspective and a grasp that I share and understand.

Thank you for printing such perceptive content in your newspaper. I look forward to reading more.

Robert V.Winkle
Former English teacher
Dallas, Texas
dokdoisours@gmail.com

No comments: