Monday, August 18, 2008

THIS IS A POST THAT I FOUND ON KOREA BEAT AND I ANSWERED THE PERSON BACK. I DO HOPE THAT MY ANSWER HELPS WITH THE E-2 VISA MESS. HOPEFULLY NEXT YEAR I CAN START WORK ON MY MASTERS/DR.



I have been living in Korea for over a year now and have been trying to renew my Visa for the last two months, although everytime I go to immigration they tell me I need something new.

Here's what I have:

1. Local CBC done through County Sheffif's office (Actual true document) notarized by a notary public and apolstilled by the State of Florida. (Immigration said it wasn't a good enough document, even though it is an official, notarized, apostillezed document stating I have no criminal record)

2. So then... I got my State Criminal Record Check done through Florida Department of Law Enforcement (Also a true, notarized document) I went to Seoul and visited the Embassy and swore an Affidavit, filled out my form, signed it, and it was stamped that again, I have no criminal record and this document is authentic as stated by me. (Immigration again told me that this document was not good enough, even though it too was notarized and I swore the Affidavit at the Embassy like I was supposed to do)

3. Keep in mind. I have not left the country and have acquired these documents while still living here and have followed the guidelines for renewal to the letter as per expats living and teaching who are unable to return to their home country.

SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM!!!

My directors are telling me they want me to go back to Seoul to have my documents verified. I have explained to them that the US Embassy does not provide or authenticate background checks. An Administration of Oath (Affidavit) is what has been prescribed for US Expats overseas.

But I don't understand what else they could possible want. I have provided them MORE than enough official documents. Is my Immigration Office just being stubborn, or do they not know what's going on??

PLEASE! Any Advice!!! This has cost me too much already. Thank you.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

HERE WAS MY REPLY.

I went thought this same insanity in Daejeon and here is what I did and how pissed of I was at them.

When I needed a state background check I went to the Texas state website for background check and I printed out mine and then took the document to the US Embassy and made an official statement and submitted it to the Daejeon Immigration. They refused it and said that it was not real.

I then went to immigration with the exact website information and even let them download a copy of it and they still said that it was not official, but they never would say why. (I re showed them the exact Texas state Govt. website but still it was not official enough)

I asked point blank. Ok what do you want. I was told FBI check.

I went back to my office and downloaded the paperwork from the FB1 website.

fbi link

You can print out and mail the following forms: cover letter,fingerprint form (get ink and you can do it yourself), and a credit card pay form.

I did the prints myself and did 3 Sets of prints and mailed it to

FBI CJIS Division – Record Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, West Virginia 26306

using the EMS express mail in Korea. it took 4 days to arrive in WV.

Now here is where you have 2 options.

1. take the returned FBI check to the US Embassy and make a sworn statement that this is a real FBI check. It cost 30$ and Daejeon Immigration accepted the statement and since i was already here in Korea all I needed was my psychical and my E-2 was completed.

2. If you leave Daejeon, some other cities might want an apostile on the FBI check, so you now need to do this extra step.

http://www.wvsos.com/execrecords/other/authentication.htm

since the FBI check was completed in the state of West Virginia. The state will do a notary and an apostille.

Who can answer questions about certification services?
E-mail execrecords@wvsos.com
Call (304) 558-6000 between 8:30 and 5:00 Eastern Time.


I called the above #'s office and I set up what needed to be done and soon the FBI check had an official apostille and now Daejeon immigration has that piece of paper. THE APOSTILLE COST ME 10$.

What pissed me off is that they said that the official State of Texas website was not official enough. SERIOUSLY WTF?

I hope this helps.

1 comment:

LaShon James-Major said...

Dealing with foreign governments can be a real pain. They can send you through many, many hoops. Ugh