Sunday, August 08, 2010

Movie Review: Dinner for Schmucks (2010)



For those who do not know, its an American remake of the 1998 French comedy "Le Dîner de Cons". Based on how many times I laughed during this film, it should have stayed not remade at all.

This film should have been very funny, It has 2 actors, who in the past, have displayed great chemistry together. The idea of bringing an idiot to dinner isn't a new one but we can laugh at it. The sad thing was that I didn't laugh at this film and I kept wondering why this was called a comedy at all.

For this film to work you have to believe that Steve Carrel is an idiot and every time he was on screen the film just kept getting worse and worse and by the end of the film, I wanted a huge mute button so I wouldn't have to hear anymore of this horrid acting role.

What really disappointed me about this film was the way that they used Jemaine Clement. How in the heck could someone make me LOL as I did every time I watched, Flight of the Conchords, be utterly miscast as a self snake driven artist. Every time he was shown in the film, I just wanted to be sick and get this film out of my mind.

All around a huge misfire for Jay Roach and Steve Carell.If you're a fan of these two then this film should make you weep with despair. Please pass on this one at all cost.

Grade: F

Barry: In the words of John Lennon; you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not...
Tim: The only one...
Barry: What?
Tim: You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one... that's the lyric...
Barry: Ya, OK Tim..

No comments: