Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Movie Review: The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3.

I can honestly seeing 2 ideas about this film, once you leave the movie theater. If you have seen the original, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974), then you will definitely hate this film. If you have not seen the 1974 original film, then I think that you will like this film.

I had seen the original years ago, I can clearly remember that it was Walter Matthau vs. a very believable Robert Shaw as the villain. I remember being scared of this bad person because when he said that he was going to do something, you actually believed him and that is why I hated this remake, John Travolta as the villain, is just not believable. I thought that he could be a bad gut but after watching this, he needs to sick to older mentors or older heroes roles.

But if the bad person can not carry the film then its hero must and after seeing the original, it was very clear to me that Denzel Washington could not save this film. As a hero, I never felt sorry for him and when the film shows his warts, I never believed it and it just made the film and the hero into someone that I was not pulling for.

In a hero film, the audience must decide to be a good person or the cheer for the bad guy and when the film lets you cheer for neither, as this one did, you are left with a mess. At the end of this film, I felt that I had lost my $ and was cheated by an inferior product trying to be the 1974 classic film.

If you have seen the original, then please pass on this film at all cost. If you have not seen the original, then this film, is worth at least one viewing to see weather or not, you will like it.

Grade D-

Opened on 11 June 2009 in South Korea.

Ryder: Life is simple now. They just have to do what I say.

No comments: