Saturday, March 08, 2008

Have you ever just wanted to ask the Academy awards, "What in the hell were you thinking?"

A few weeks ago when, "No Country for Old Men" won the award for Best Picture, I flat out could not believe it. I screamed at my TV in Auckland, New Zealand, and asked "WTF?,Did anyone see the film that I saw?"

In my Top 25 films of 2007, I had this film at #2. After seeing it on the big screen, I kept wondering, 'When can I get this film on Blu-Ray?" The film is not a good one, its a great one. Daniel Day-Lewis won the Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role for his role as Daniel Plainview.

The film tells of a time during the early days of the oil boom in the USA. The audience is introduced to Daniel Plainview, as a man who is trying to get his little piece in the world. We then see him make his start in the oil business.

What the films shows us is, a man who will do anything to get it all and when he does we are shown its true cost to the ones who love him. I am keeping this review spoiler -free due to the fact that it will make it a better viewing for you the movie watcher.

The film has a great supporting cast and needs to be seen while it is being shown in Korea.

Grade A+.

Plainview: Do you? I drink your water, Eli. I drink it up. Everyday. I drink the blood of lamb from Bandy's tract.

Opened in Korea March 6 2008

How I saw the film. Rialto Theater, Dunedin, New Zealand.

IMDB link

No comments: